Shearer and Co has a long history of helping tenants and mortgage borrowers through the most difficult times. We appreciate that sometimes the difference between affording your home and being threatened with homelessness is only job insecurity, relationship breakdown or illness.
We are experts in helping tenants and mortgage borrowers in all matters relating to housing law, including:
- Eviction and Repossession. Don’t let your family lose your home without a fight. If you have received a notice, possession claim or warrant, we are the lawyers to turn to. If you have experienced personal difficulties and have fallen behind with your rent or mortgage payments, you don’t have to be evicted.
With our in depth knowledge of housing law, we will zealously work to keep you and your family in your home.
- Housing Disrepair. While most landlords maintain their properties, there are some rogue landlords that have allowed the properties that they rent to fall into disrepair, leaving your family exposed to the dangers, expense and inconvenience of their mess. We have a proven track record for holding irresponsible landlords accountable for repairing their properties and for securing damages for tenants who have had to suffer through no fault of their own.
- Illegal Eviction. If you are a tenant who has already been evicted, we might be able to get you back into your home and hold your landlord liable for compensating you.
- Harassment. If you feel threatened or harassed by your landlord, contact us. There are legal remedies to stop your landlord’s bad behaviour.
- Homelessness. If you and your family are homeless or are experiencing housing insecurity, we can help. Even if your Council has told you that you are not entitled to housing, we will work hard to ensure that they have complied with their legal duties and, where possible, will secure housing for you and your family.
- Injunction Applications. This firm has vast experience in handling these matters. If you face injunction or committal proceedings, we will zealously defend you.
- Other Housing Matters. Our specialist team has experience in all aspects of landlord-tenant law, including but not limited to issues related to dilapidations, forfeiture actions and service-charge disputes.
- Trusts of land actions and Inheritance Act claims.
In property co-ownership disputes or where an equitable interest is claimed, we can advise and litigate if necessary.